Sunday, May 17, 2015

Naan

I've been cooking a lot of Indian food recently, and every time I make it I make naan to go with it so I can soak up the sauce. I found frozen naan at Trader Joes. It was $3 for two pieces. I bought it because it seemed convenient but it was no where near as good as the home made stuff, plus the home made stuff is pretty easy as long as you have enough time to let it rise. I used my cast iron to cook these and I prefer them to get a little charred and smokey, but if you don't like that flavor just take them off the pan before they darken.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon yeast

Directions:

In a small bowl, combine water, sugar. and yeast and mix until the yeast dissolves into the water and turns a bit foamy. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, oil, and yogurt. When yeast has dissolved, mix it into the flour bowl and stir to combine. Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or so, or until it forms a nice, smooth ball that isn't sticky. Place this back into your mixing bowl and cover with a cloth. Let it rise for about an hour. After an hour, take the dough and cut it into 4-6 pieces. If you want fat, puffy naan do 4. If you want thin, pillow-y naan do 6. (I always do 6). Roll out each piece until it is 6-7 inches in diameter. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat for several minutes. When the pan is hot, brush each piece of naan with water. Take one piece at a time and place the watered side onto the cast iron. Cover with a lid for 30 seconds, take the lid off, flip it over and cook uncovered for 30 more seconds. Repeat with the rest of the dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment