Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Buttermilk drop biscuits


I did not originally come up with this recipe, and honestly, I have no idea who did or where I found it. I've been making these biscuits for so long that I've pretty much memorized the amounts but I can't take credit for them at all. These bake up fluffy but still nice and crunchy on the outside, which is exactly how I want my biscuits. The recipe below makes about 5 biscuits but if you're making these for more than 2 people you'll want to double the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons shortening
1/2 cup buttermilk

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Add shortening and mix together with your hands until things come together in crumbles, it should be dry and almost sandy. Gently stir in the buttermilk until just combined. Loosely form into balls, but don't make them smooth. The spikier the better. The spikes brown up and get all crunchy and delicious. Bake for 13-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment