Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Egg drop soup


I really love chinese food. Every time I order it I get egg drop soup. But then, of course, I end up ordering things like fried wontons and fried tofu covered in a syrupy sauce. Which means that unless I want to eat tons of fried food I don't get egg drop soup. Not until I learned how to make it myself anyway. My version doesn't have yellow food coloring in it so it isn't as vibrantly colored as take out, but it is more delicious. Plus you can make it in like 5 minutes.

Ingredients:

2 cups veggie stock
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash crushed red pepper flakes
1 slightly rounded tablespoon corn starch
2 tablespoons water
1 egg
1 egg white
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
2 green onions, chopped

Directions:

Place cold veggie stock, ginger, garlic (and red pepper flakes, if using) in a medium sauce pot. In a separate small bowl, mix together corn starch and cold water. Add to veggie stock and bring mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring to prevent clumps. While that is heating up, crack eggs into a bowl and whisk to break them up a bit. When stock has come to a full boil, remove from heat, stir it pretty fast so that the liquid is moving in a circle. Slowly add the eggs while stirring. Season with sesame oil and soy sauce. Add a handful of green onions and stir. The eggs should be cooked at this point. Serve in bowls with more green onions on top. Season with salt and pepper if necessary.


No comments:

Post a Comment