Sunday, January 18, 2015

Americanized bibimbap


I hadn't had bibimbap until recently. I went to a restaurant known for it and I was hooked after my first bite. It was salty, spicy, sweet, and really filling. I tried to recreate it at home but I couldn't find the sauce at the grocery store by me so I tried to make my own. It actually turned out really well even if it isn't that authentic.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon miso paste
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 dash red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoon corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1/4 cup rice
3 baby carrots, julienned
10 thin slices cucumber
1 handful broccoli florets, cooked
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 egg

Directions:

In a small sauce pan combine first 9 ingredients. Cook on medium-low heat for a minute or two, or until everything comes together and starts to thicken. Remove from heat and save for later. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to directions, I just threw it in my rice cooker and waited until it turned itself off. Individually season carrots, cucumbers, and broccoli florets with soy sauce and sesame oil. I heated my carrots and broccoli in a pan for about two minutes to take some of the crunch off, but you could also keep them raw. When the rice is done cooking take a bowl and place it under the broiler until it is hot to the touch. While the bowl is heating cook an egg over easy. To assemble: place a small amount of sesame oil in the bottom of the hot bowl, add rice, add vegetables, spoon a large dollop of the sauce in the middle of the veggies, and top with the egg. To eat: break the egg yolk and mix everything together thoroughly.

No comments:

Post a Comment