Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wine braised mushrooms


When I was growing up I was obsessed with this restaurant called Spaghetti's. Honestly, at this point I have no idea if the food was actually any good or not but their chianti mushrooms still haunt my dreams with deliciousness. Also, 13-year-old me thought I was super cool and classy for ordering (and actually enjoying) something with chianti in the title. The recipe here is my attempt at recreating that appetizer, which was really just a big pile of mushrooms served with some bread to soak up the braising liquid. I will often eat them like this for an appetizer. If you're looking to make them into a meal I'd recommend serving them on top of soft polenta or throwing cooked spaghetti into the pot after removing them from the oven and tossing it with some shaved parmesan.

Ingredients:

1 box (a pound?) of button mushrooms
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine (use what you'd drink)
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Clean your mushrooms by wiping them with a dry paper towel and cutting the stems down just a little bit. In a pot that can transfer from stove to oven (I use my enameled cast iron dutch oven for this) melt butter over medium low heat. Once butter is melted, place mushrooms cap side down in pan and do not move. Let them cook there without moving until the butter starts to turn golden brown, probably like 2-3 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. You want to cook them for 5 minutes total. After 5 minutes turn off the burner, add garlic, wine, soy, and vinegar and stir to release the good brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add water, cover, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. If you want more sauce just remove the mushrooms from the pan and add more water, scraping down the sides and bottom of the pot to release more sauce and stirring to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment