Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Tomato basil crostini


This year my garden was hit hard. Out of all the things I planted, the only things I'll be harvesting are tomatoes and basil (and a few chives, thankfully!). Despite my initial frustration with the bunny (or asshole human) that destroyed most of my plants, I'm very happy that my favorite things are still going strong. This is just one of many things to make with cherry tomatoes and basil. Obviously increase the amounts to make as many as you feel like you can eat.

Ingredients:

3 slices of baguette or french bread
1 garlic clove, cut in half
6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
4-6 leaves of fresh basil, cut in ribbons
reduced balsamic vinegar*
salt

Directions:

Toast bread slices. Remove from toaster and rub the garlic clove, cut side down, over crisped bread. Top with tomatoes and basil. Drizzle balsamic syrup over tomatoes and season with salt.

*To reduce balsamic vinegar, just place regular balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan and simmer until it has reduced by half. When it is done it will be thick and syrupy and should be able to coat a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment