Saturday, August 16, 2014

Whole grain beer mustard

Before I write anything else I must warn you. WATCH OUT FOR MUSTARD GAS. But seriously, watch out for mustard gas when you're making this. I wasn't really thinking when I made this the first time and I stuck my face directly into the food processor to smell how delicious it was becoming and I almost fell over after inhaling a huge amount of the fumes. Maybe open a window or something. Despite its dangers, this mustard is absolutely worth making! It is so freaking easy and so, so, so delicious.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup mustard seeds (any combination of yellow, brown, and black. Darker = Spicier)
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup beer (pale ales and ambers work well, but use what you like)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

In a ceramic (or other non-reactive) bowl, combine seeds, vinegar, and beer. Let stand, covered, at room temperature for 24 hours. Transfer to a food processor and add the rest of the ingredients. Blend like crazy (the more you break down the seeds the spicier and thicker it becomes). I like to leave a lot of the seeds whole just because I love the look and texture of really grainy mustard. Transfer to jars and store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment