Sunday, August 31, 2014

Falafel pita



Ok, so I cheated a little on this and didn't make my own falafel balls. Who has time for that?! I used a dry mix that I picked up from the grocery store. I prepared it according to the package except that I cooked it on a waffle iron instead of deep frying it 'cause it's faster, healthier, and doesn't make your whole house smell like hot oil. 

Ingredients:

1 pita
2-3 prepared falafel balls (seriously, just get the powder)
1 big scoop hummus
1 big scoop cucumber yogurt sauce
A few shakes of hot sauce (if you want)
4-6 thin slices red onion
4-6 thin slices green pepper
1 small handful chopped tomato
1 small handful shredded lettuce
A few sprigs cilantro or parsley

Directions:

Warm your pita for a few seconds to make it pliable. Spread the hummus in the middle in a line. Place your falafel on top (I cut mine in half so the bites were manageable). Spoon cucumber yogurt sauce over the falafel and sprinkle with hot sauce (if using). Arrange vegetables and herbs on top and roll up. I wrapped mine in foil like chipotle does and then cut it in half. To eat it, I just rolled down the foil as I went, that way all the stuff stayed inside and it stayed tightly rolled.


2 comments: