Thursday, August 13, 2015

Vegetable bouillon


I am about to share with you my ultimate cooking secret weapon. This is absolutely a staple in my kitchen, and if you've looked through some of my recipes you've probably seen that I use it in almost everything. It is so much better than store bought stock or bouillon cubes and is better than stock made with scraps, which is never that consistent. Yes, there is a lot of salt in this, but it also makes a lot of bouillon. I promise this still is less salty than store bought. Also, I originally found this recipe on a blog called "In Jennie's Kitchen" and you can certainly still find the recipe there, but I've made this a few times and I have adapted it a bit to fit my tastes. The one below is my take on her original recipe.

Ingredients:

4 full sized carrots, tops cut off
3 ribs celery, cleaned
1 small onion
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms
1 leek, white and very light green parts only
10 sun-dried tomato halves
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 a lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons salt

Directions:

Get out your biggest food processor. Roughly chop all vegetables and add them to the food processor. Turn it on and run it for about a minute until everything is starting to get smooth. Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the food processor on for another minute or two until everything is completely smooth and thick. Store it in the freezer. To use this as stock, dilute 1 teaspoon in 1 cup of hot water (then adjust to your liking).

No comments:

Post a Comment